take your time

January 31, 2008

vorbe de duh (8)

"Advertising is the most fun you can have with your clothes on."

Jerry Della Femina


In 1971, Jerry published the book, "From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave you Pearl Harbor." This title also gives a notion to us as to how his idea is creative. The title originated from the intended headline for Panasonic Electronics ads.
Jerry himself wrote about this story in the book :
One guy said, "Well, What are we going to do about Panasonic?" And every body sat around, frowning and thinking about Panasonic.
Finally, I decided, what the hell, I'll throw a line to loosen them up-I mean, they were paying me $50,000 a year plus a $5,000-a-year expense account, and I thought they deserved something for all this bread.
So I said, "Hey, I've got it, I've got it."
Everybody jumped. Then I got very dramatic, really setting them up.
"I see a Headline, Yes, I see this Headline."
"What is it?" they yelled.
"I see it all now," I said, "I see and entire campaign built around this headline."
They all were looking at me now.
"The headline is, the headline is : 'From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor'."

Jerry Femina, in his own words, described as a temporary amusement.

No comments: